Sligo Rugby Club Notes

Sligo loses Battle of the Breakdown


Sligo RFC       12

Seapoint RFC 22


Sligo remain at the top of Division 2C despite suffering a 10 point defeat to Seapoint RFC who were sitting at the bottom of the table.  In bitterly cold conditions, Sligo 1st XV and their many travelling supporters were warmly welcomed to Glenageary, South Dublin.  The teams were deadlocked for the first 20minutes, and the game had become a dogged, energy-sapping battle of the breakdown.  However, it was the home side who started the stronger, and scored first, but failed to convert the try.  This spurred Sligo into action and 13 minutes later, Matthew Cosgrove went over the line for Sligo’s first score.  This was duly converted by Jack Keegan and was followed 10 minutes later by another well-worked play and Rooney touched down to give the away team a 5-12 lead at half-time.

However, things did not go as planned for the away team in the second half.  Although the scrums and line-outs were evenly contested throughout, Sligo’s running game met strong resistance from Seapoint and the home-side swiftly capitalised on the many handling errors, scoring two tries in quick succession, bringing the score to 15-12 with 25 minutes still to go on the clock.  Sligo continued to battle hard, but were unlucky with a few key turnovers, losing possession, and giving Seapoint the opportunity for another try with 6minutes to go. Scrum-half Ryan Feehily came close to securing the losing bonus point for Sligo but was tackled into touch in the dying seconds of the game.

Although disappointed to come away empty-handed, other results in the league meant that Sligo stayed top of the division with 2 points to spare.  Next Saturday, 2nd December sees the final home game of the year, when Sligo take on 4th placed Bangor in Hamilton Park at 2.30p.m.  This is another crucial game, with the return fixture taking place the following weekend in Bangor.  All supports are encouraged to come out and get behind their team.


Joe Coulter, Vinnie O'Brien and Jim Casey

Joe Coulter, Vinnie O’Brien and Jim Casey

Sligo Development Team        17

Monivea                                  15


It was a tense affair in a cold and wet Monivea, as Sligo Development team were hoping to secure their fourth win of the season.  Playing Monivea at home is never an easy affair and this game was no exception.  The first score went to the away team from a determined Sligo scrum.  Persistent infringements by Monivea resulted in the referee awarding a penalty try.   Andrew Blannin quickly added to the tally with a try of his own, but Sligo’s lead was chipped away and they found themselves 15-12 down at half time.  The score remained deadlocked for the majority of the second half, with neither side giving an inch.  However, it was Sligo who eventually broke through the Monivea defence.  Led by captain Gary O’ Hehir, Sligo showed great patience and composure and a well-executed move set up Sean Wynne, Man of the Match, to score in the corner, ensuring the narrow victory for the away team.  This was a great team performance, bolstered by the senior debut of Christian Nielson in the back row.

The return leg of this fixture will take place this Sunday at 2.30p.m. in Hamilton Park.  This promises to be a real battle as Sligo hope to secure another back-to-back win.  All support welcome.


Sligo RFC U-18.5s                 33

Ballinrobe RFC U-18.5s         26


An understrength but determined U-18.5 Sligo team took to the pitch last Sunday, in what was a do or die game for the home side.  Depleted numbers have taken their toll on the talented young side but their determination gave them a deserved win in a high-scoring game at Hamilton Park.  Having started off with all guns blazing, Sligo soon had a comprehensive lead on their opposition, with free-flowing rugby gaining vital yards and putting even more vital points on the board.

However it was Ballinrobe who put the foot down in the second half, scoring three unanswered tries and narrowing the gap to a mere 5 points, with only 10minutes to go.  Sligo needed to re-organise the troops and dig deep.  Ballinrobe were put under pressure for the last 8minutes of the game, and defended their line well, until scrum-half Hubert Gilvary spotted the narrowest of gaps and drove straight through a ruck to score a well-deserved try, his second of the game.


U-13 girls take to the field

With many fixtures having been cancelled over the weekend due to adverse weather conditions, it was left to the girls to represent Sligo RFC in Hamilton Park last Saturday.

The U-13 girls hosted a regional blitz, and despite the bitterly cold conditions, gave a warm welcome to teams from Ballina, Gort and Claremorris.  Team managers Michael Cox and Gavin Clinch were happy with the great running play by the Sligo girls, and the dominance they showed in many areas of the field.  Coach Gabriel Gormley praised his team, saying that they improved with each game, their fitness and hard work at training really showed as the tournament progressed.  Girls rugby training, ages 8 to 15, continues every Saturday morning at 10a.m. in Sligo RFC and on Tuesday evenings at 6.30p.m.  Anyone interested in joining should contact Gabriel Gormley (087 7636168)

u-13-aoife-gormley-drives-on-under-pressure u-13-roisin-gormley-takes-on-the-ball

Pre-Match Lunch

There will be a pre-match lunch this Saturday before the Sligo V Bangor game.  This is the last home game before Christmas.  Anyone interested should contact Club President John Kane to book their seat, as numbers are limited.