Hopes from Donegal Deputies that ParentStop will receive funding in new year

The closure of ParentStop is leaving a large number of families without a much needed service.

However, there are hopes from Donegal representatives that it may not be permanent.

That’s the message parents hear when calling ParentStop today.

The closure of the Donegal based charity was announced by a Facebook post on Friday by manager, Patricia Lee.

She stated ‘It’s time to say farewell and to step away.’

The closure leaves over 600 families without the much needed service throughout the county of Donegal.

Representatives from the charity met with Children’s and Youth Affairs Minister Catherine Zappone last week where the Minister committed to funding.

An additional €140,000 is required from the Department of Health to continue operating ParentStop.

Fianna Fail TD, Path ‘The Cope’ Gallagher set up the recent meeting and said the post caught him by surprise but remains hopeful that funding will be secured in the new year.

Patricia Lee also stated in the Facebook post that ‘The team at ParentStop are all optimistic that there will be an investment into Parent Support for Co. Donegal in 2020.’

Independent TD, Thomas Pringle, has sent a letter to Minister for Health, Simon Harris, requesting him to meet representatives urgently to come up with a short term solution at least.

Deputy Pringle says the losers in this situation are the families left without the service.

Related