Sligo Rovers win ‘crazy’ cup tie at the Showgrounds

Sligo Rovers came from two goals down to beat Limerick FC 6-2 in an highly entertaining and eventful FAI Cup second round tie at the Showgrounds on Saturday night.

Listen back to the Ocean FM Sport commentary highlights with Austin O’Callaghan and Gavin Dykes:

In addition to eight goals, there were four red cards, one of which followed an altercation between Limerick’s Jason Hughes and a steward during the second-half. Hughes received a straight red card for his part in the incident – which left the steward needing medical attention.

The game had started so well for the visitors with winger Karl O’Sullivan scoring twice to put Limerick two up inside the first nine minutes. His second goal, in particular, was of the highest quality as he dribbled past four Rovers defenders before coolly finishing the ball to the net.

But the home side didn’t panic. Romeo Parkes and Ronan Coughlan scored to bring Rovers level. Then Coughlan saw his penalty kick brilliantly saved by Limerick goalkeeper Jack Brady, who was arguably one of the game’s beside performers on the night.

But there was more first-half drama to come.

Rovers defender Dante Leverock inexplicably head-butted Limerick’s Kieran O’Hanlon during a Rovers attack and received a straight red card.

A short while later, Limerick captain Shaun Kelly picked up his second yellow card which saw the visitors reduced to 10 men.

Then, in injury-time at the end of the half, Regan Donelon fired home an exquisite free-kick to put Rovers 3-2 in front at the break.

The home side struck a killer below early in the second-half with Romeo Parkes scoring his second 37 seconds after the re-start to make it 4-2.

Limerick never really recovered from this and, as their frustration grew, Clyde O’Connell was dismissed for a rash challenge on Kris Twardek. Then came the touchline exchange between Hughes and the steward which saw Limerick reduced to eight players.

Rovers skipper on the night David Cawley headed home the home side’s fifth goal – and Kris Twardek capped another fine individual display in the closing quarter when he added the sixth.

The draw for the quarter-finals of the FAI Cup will be made on Monday.

Waterford are also in the hat after they ended Glengad United’s FAI Cup adventure earlier on Saturday. The Donegal junior side were beaten 2-0 at McGinn Park in Buncranna.