Gabriel McSharry, Clinical Nutritionist and Herbalist, joined Francie to chat about Vitamin D for optimal Immunity and Nutrition. They discussed the importance of Vitamin D and which foods are good to get your source of Vitamin D. Gabriel also had a recipe for ‘Dilled Salmon Omelettes with Creme Fraiche’ (which is below).
It’s all thanks to Sligo Leader Partnership and Healthy Ireland.
The Healthy Ireland Fund supported by the Department of Health and the Department of Children and Youth Affairs.
To contact Gabriel visit www.consultantnutritionist.com
The Francie Boylan Show airs weekdays 11am to 2pm.
Dilled Salmon Omelettes with Creme Fraiche (high vitamin D meal)
1 omelette: 632 calories, 48g fat (24g saturated fat), 553mg cholesterol, 374mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 44g protein
- 12 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound salmon fillets, cooked and flaked
- 3 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- 3/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 6 fresh dill sprigs
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper until blended.
- For each omelette, in an 8-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, melt 1 teaspoon butter over medium heat. Pour 1/2 cup egg mixture into the pan. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup salmon, 1/2 cup cheese and 1 teaspoon snipped dill. As eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portion flow underneath. Cook until eggs are nearly set.
- Broil 6 in. from the heat until eggs are completely set, 1-2 minutes. Fold omelette in half; transfer to a plate. Top with 2 tablespoons creme fraiche and a dill sprig. Repeat for remaining omelets.
The following table contains the foods that are the most rich in Vitamin D in descending order.
|Food Source||Vit D (µg)|
|Cod Liver Oil||250|
|Atlantic Herring (Pickled)||17|
|Eastern Oysters (Steamed)||16.05|
|Skinless Sardines (Water Packed)||12|
|Smoked Chinook Salmon||8|
|Lard (Pork Fat)||3.925|
|Egg Yolk (Fresh)(One yolk contains about 24 IU)||3.7|
|Lamb Liver (Braised)||0.5|
|Pork Liver (Braised)||0.3|
|Beef Liver (Fried)||0.3|
|Beef Tripe (Raw)||0.3|
|Beef Kidney (Simmered)||0.3|
|Chicken Livers (Simmered)||0.3|
|Small Clams (Steamed/Cooked Moist)||0.2|
|Blue Crab (Steamed)||0.1|
|Northern Lobster (Steamed)||0.1|