Farmers not responsible for meat factories layoffs

The Leitrim Chairman of the Beef Plan Movement says farmers are not to blame for staff layoffs at meat factories.

 

3,000 people were temporarily let go from their positions at meat plants across the country earlier this week.

 

Meat Industry Ireland says protests and “illegal blockades” by farmers are to blame, and is also warning further layoffs are likely in the coming days if they aren’t stopped.

 

The Chairman of the Leitrim Beef Plans Brendan Barry, says MII should not have pulled out of Monday talks aimed at resolving the beef price dispute and is outright rejecting the claims that the Beef plan movement and farmers are to blame for the job losses.

 

 

Fianna Fail’s Agriculture spokesperson and Donegal TD Charlie McConalogue, says all parties must now be brought back together so a deal can be hammered out:

 

 

All sides in the beef dispute have been invited to the talks table this evening.

The Minister for Agriculture Michael Creed has taken the decision bring all sides back to the talks table.

He’s now invited all parties to meet him at his Department on Kildare Street where he will hold separate meetings with those involved in the dispute

Related