In this Episode of Stir It Up, presenter, retired doctor and chef Paula Gilvarry meets mother-daughter pair Eimear and Nancy, Paula teaches Eimear fast and nutritionist recipes that she can incorporate into the life of her growing girl! Check out the recipes mentioned in the episode below.
- 700g mixed Cox’s and Bramley apples
- 230g Jus-Rol fresh shortcrust pastry
- 1 heaped tablespoon golden caster sugar
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 egg white, lightly whisked
- 200g Jus-Rol fresh shortcrust pie lid, 24cm in diameter
- 1 tablespoon unrefined demerara sugar
1.Cut the pastry to fit your tin and do a second circle to cover the top. If you have not enough pastry cut the remaining pastry into strips for a latticed lid.
2.Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6, 200°C. on a baking sheet. Then, all you do is peel, halve, core and slice the apples and pile them into the pastry case (making them higher in the centre), sprinkle over the caster sugar and dot with the cloves.( optional)
3.Next, dampen the edges with some of the egg white and place the pastry lid, crimping all round with your thumb or a fork or lattice the strips across the top sealing the edges on the base pastry case over the apples, crimping with your thumb or a fork. Make a steam hole( if a solid top) in the centre about the size of a 50p-piece, then brush the pastry all over with the beaten egg white, and sprinkle the demerara sugar over that. Now pop it into the centre of the oven to bake for 30-40 minutes, until the apples are cooked and tender when tested with a skewer. Serve with thick cream, custard or ice-cream.
TIP. If you want put a handful of flour on the base before adding the apples, to prevent a soggy base when cooked.
Chicken and Broccoli Pasta bake
- 350 g leftover chicken, chopped
- 350 g pasta shapes
- 200 g broccoli in small florets and stem thinly sliced
- 200ml of 7 veg tomato sauce or tinned tomatoes
- 100ml cream fraiche
- 35 g grated cheese ( parmesan or cheddar)
1.Cook the pasta shapes in boiling salted water for 6 minutes, add the broccoli and cook
2.for another six minutes, drain and put in an oven proof dish. Mix in the chicken, sauce and cream fraiche.
3.Top with parmesan and cook at 180C for 20-30 minutes.
Slow cooker chicken curry
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed or garlic paste to taste
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger peeled and grated or 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 sweet potato peeled and chopped into pieces and /or other vegetables
- ( I use courgette, cucumber, potatoes, cut into pieces)
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp flour
- ½ pint stock( use a good stock cube)
- ½ tin of coconut milk.
1.Measure out the spices and flour. Roll the chicken thighs in the mix. Place in the base of the slow cooker. Add the onion, garlic, ginger. stock and coconut milk.
2.Place the vegetables on top.
3.Turn slow cooker to low. Put on the lid and leave for 6 hours .
4.You can do this the night before and put the bowl of the slow cooker in the fridge overnight.
5.Serve with rice and mango chutney