Hearty Fisherman’s Pie
A fish pie recipe is nutritious, easy and can be be cheap to cook.
Ask your local fishmonger for a selection of fish off-cuts and usually they will charge you under the market price. Tell them Mags from Ocean fm Sent you!!
Fish Pie is a great all in one supper
Always better to use less oily fish, (for better sauce consitancey) like haddock, cod, salmon, smoked haddock etc
Ideal as supper, lunch, buffet
Fish is very good for lubricating bones, Omigo 3 and oin the prevention of certain Cancers
A man standing naked in front of his bedroom mirror says to his wife,
“I feel horrible, I look fat, ugly and out of shape. Please, Pay me a compliment.”
The wife replies, Well Your eyesight’s is perfect.”
- 250 ml fish stock
- 250 ml milk + 2 tbsp for the potatoes
- 350g Assorted fish pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb /500g mashing potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 55g butter + 25g for the potatoes
- 1 medium sized leek, the white, washed and finely sliced (The green keep for your empty the fridge soup)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 355 °F/180 °C
- Pour the fish stock and milk into a large saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the fish pieces and bay leaf and poach for 5 mins. Remove the fish pieces with a slotted spoon and keep to one side. Reserve the liqueur.
- Place the potatoes into a large saucepan, cover with cold water and add a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, cover and reduce the heat and cook until the potatoes are tender. Meanwhile…
- Melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan over a medium heat. Add the sliced leeks and cook for 5 minutes until the leeks are soft.
- Whilst still hot, add the flour and stir well with a wooden spoon. Pour the fish liqueur into the pan and stir again, raise the temperature and cook for 3 minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened add the frozen peas. Turn the heat off and add the fish and chopped parsley. Leave to one side.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain and return the hot pan to the stove, add the extra butter and milk, warm through until the butter is melted. Add the potatoes and mash.
- Place the fish and sauce into an ovenproof dish, cover with a thick layer of mashed potato either by piping from a piping bag and large nozzle and using a fork, lightly fluffing the surface. Put the dish onto a baking sheet and cook in the center of the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling beneath the potatoes. Serve immediately.
Ideal for Lunch, Dinner, make smaller tarts for starters
You can use alternative ingredients, i.e. tomatoes and mozzarella, spinach and gruyere etc
Ideal for using up left over pastry, mushrooms or onions
Ideal to freeze, so you can make in advance
Savoury Puff Pastry Upside down Tart with Red Onion Marmalade and Sliced Mushrooms, Dressed Roquet
2 oz of Puff Pastry, Rolled to 0.5cm deep, 7inch Round
2 oz of Sliced Mushrooms
Squeeze of half Lemon
1oz of Butter
1oz of Brown Sugar
4 oz of Red Onion Marmalade
Dressed Roquet Salad (In Pesto)
In a 7 inch pan, melt butter, add sugar and let it go to syrup and slightly brown.
Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and squeeze of lemon, cook for 60 seconds
Add Red onion Marmalade and cover with the pastry
Bake in pre- heated oven 190c/ 375f/gas 5 for 15-20 mins
Remove from oven, carefully place plate over pastry and turn pan upside down onto plate
Garnish tart with roquet salad and pesto