Threatened work stoppage by ambulance workers suspended

The work stoppage by SIPTU ambulance workers planned for next Monday has been suspended.

There had been fears that the planned four-hour stoppage, which was to have started at 8 o’clock in the morning, would have caused major disruption to patients and services.

But, for now at least, the work stoppage is off.

If the work stoppage had gone ahead, it would have affected ambulance services in counties Sligo, Leitrim, Donegal and West Cavan.

The row is between SIPTU ambulance members and their employer, the National Ambulance Service.

It’s over what SIPTU members says in the imposition of certain measures, including rostering changes, without adequate consultation.

Ambulance workers say this has negatively impacted their terms and conditions.

However, the National Ambulance Service and the HSE has insist these are ‘interim measures.’

Even as SIPTU announced details of the proposed work stoppage, efforts were continuing to avert the action.

In a statement yesterday evening, the HSE said that following discussions between staff representatives and National Ambulance Service management, it was agreed by all parties that the industrial action in the North West, scheduled for next week, be suspended.

Related