Sligo rugby teams complete clean sweep of weekend wins


Seapoint RFC Co Dublin v Sligo RFC Saturday 26th November 2016.

Sligo hit the ground running beginning the game with high intensity by spending the majority of the first 5 minutes in Seapoint half/22. The pressure was rewarded, or so Shane Boyle thought, after he picked and placed the ball on the line – 5 metres short. Play resumed and continued to put pressure on but a flat pass was intercepted by Seapoint winger who ran the pitch to place ball under the post. 7-0 was the score line after 10 minutes.

Another Seapoint opportunity seemed all but converted but a heroic try saving tackle from Ryan Feehily forced the knock on leading to a let off for Sligo Rugby Club.

18mins in 7 7 Sligo v Seapoint.

The courageous effort from Ryan Feehily boosted the Sligo men who continued to push to get on the score board. Sligo secured their line out in the opposition 22 and built phases to finally release the outside backs. Conor Kerins stepped his opposite number opening up a numerical mismatch. A dummy pass and hand off granted Conor Kerins to cross the white wash. Jack Keenan gracefully slotted the extras.

In a 10 minute spell, poor discipline from both sides were punished with kicks to leave the score at 13-10 to Seapoint 31 minutes in.

The strength of Sligo’s pack was evident in the scrum allowing a clean platform for the Sligo backs to execute a well worked move in mid field. Daire Byrne broke the line, with support on either side chose to administer a fantastic no look pass inside to Michael Wells. His blinding pace was rewarded with a try under the posts. Extras again were added.

Half time in Dalkey

HT Seapoint 13 Sligo 17

Second half began with more dominance from the home side with Seapoint getting the first score of the second half through a penalty 30 metres out.

An audacious restart from Seapoint was clinically and exceptionally caught by Aaron Spring. His returning run from his own 22 breaking 3 tackles and keeping the ball alive through Shane O’Hehir and Michael Wells. Quick ball allowed Sligo to isolate their narrow defence. Conviction in attack tied in with great hands opened up for Jack Keegan to prance over the line.

In quick succession after Jack Keegan try, with another break from Daire Byrne, Sligo utilised the searing pace of Jamie Bowes out on the wing for him to cross for his 4th of the season.

Full-time result in Dalkey

Seapoint 16, Sligo 29

Great bonus point win Sligo which leaves them 5th coming into the Christmas break.

Pos Team Pl W D L F A Diff TB LB Pts
1 Rainey 8 6 0 2 199 100 99 5 2 31
2 Navan RFC 8 5 0 3 192 149 43 3 3 26
3 Tullamore 8 5 0 3 170 133 37 1 3 24
4 Bangor 8 5 0 3 166 167 -1 2 2 24
5 Sligo 8 4 0 4 177 141 36 3 4 23
6 Midleton 8 4 1 3 175 149 26 3 2 23
7 Bruff 8 3 0 5 154 176 -22 3 2 17
8 Seapoint 8 3 0 5 128 178 -50 1 2 15
9 Boyne 8 2 1 5 146 204 -58 2 2 14
10 Kanturk 8 2 0 6 112 222 -110 1 1 10


Next weekend the 3rd December Sligo welcome Bangor to Hamilton Park which promises to be a great match followed by some refreshments in the newly refurbished clubhouse.

More information on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter using #sligorfc



Sligo v Ballinrobe
Sligo took to the field inHamilton Park on cold dry November afternoon .This was always going to be a heavy hitting physical encounter against a. Connacht Team with aspirations for promotion .Immeddiately from kick off a battle of physicality ensued .The first score came from Ballinrobe with a penalty against a Sligo player for being offside .3-0 to Ballinrobe . Sligo began to settle into the game building phases with a pack that were dominant ,a front row of Thomas Gormley , Ross Oboyle Ger Kearney making their presence known A .Sligo penalty hit the post leaving Ballinrobe ahead for the first quarter of the game .
The Sligo pack maintained the pressure on the Ballinrobe try line and after 3 collapsed scrums the referee awarded a penalty try which was duly converted by Enda Gavin ..7-3 to Sligo .Ballinrobe always famous for their never give up attitude returned with a fine try in the corner which they converted giving them the lead again for a second time 10-7 .
Sligo continued to work hard with the pack led by Michael Mcmorrow up the field and on the 33rd minute Jake Sexton scored a fine try converted again by Enda Gavin 14-10 Sligo
..Sligo now in the ascendancy scored again with a second try by a rampant Jake Sexton leaving the score at half time 19-10 to Sligo .
The second half continued with the physical battle between every man on the pitch, Ballinrobe again were the first to score with a penalty for an off side Sligo player which they kicked leaving the score 19-13. Ballinrobe had no intention of giving up their promotion challenge they sensed an opportunity for a comeback but this was quickly squashed by a fine try from Mark Gerraghty and converted by Enda Gavin The Sligo back line acquitted themselves well with both great attacking moves and a strong defence leaving the final score 26-13 to Sligo .
Ballinrobe in the final moments continued to pressure the Sligo line and despite a number of attempts they could not break the Sligo defence .
Sligo earned this hard bruising win by shear determination amongst a group of players who have committed themselves to each other .
Paddy Pearson and Roger Burrows will be pleased with the game especially the determination of his players not to allow Ballinrobe to break the line in the final 10 minutes . Man of the Match Jake Sexton
Sligo have a number of hard games over the coming weeks leading up to the Christmas break and these results will define the team that has the potential to win this league .Next Sunday sees Sligo travel to Tuam who are top of the league so another battle is expected .
Team .Stuart O’Brien,Brian Mullen,Gavin Foley,Sean Mullin,Clive Morris,Mark Geraghty,Enda Gavin,Thomas Gormley ,Ross Oboyle,Ger Kearney ,Shane Mitchell’s,Christian Carroll,Jake Sexton,Michael Mcmorrow (capt) David Berlin,Craig Adams,Aaron Tansey David Cawley Donal Brady,Matt Kavanagh



Sligo RFC U16 A League. Game number 4.

Well done to SLIGO RFC U16s who had a victorious win today after travelling to their opponents in Castlebar. The conditions were less severe than in the last few days as the temperatures rose into double figures, leaving the pitch in reasonable playing conditions. Leading the team onto the pitch was captain Michael Mullaney. The day was dull but the Sligo team lit up with their first try of the day scored by Sligo’s flanker Donnacha Byrne, minutes after the start whistle was blown. Alex Devanney converted the try from the side of the pitch with an easy stride but with strength. Sligo were 7 points up and that was enough for the team to hold their heads up and waken to the fact that winning was possible.

Sligo won a throw in from the line out, caught by Ciaran Cummins, as he descended from the air he made a run for it towards the try line only to be pushed into touch. The game played on as Sligo proved to be more alert, winning the scrummage and driving the team towards the Sligo try line. Darragh McElhinney Sligo’s number 9 put the ball into the scrum, true Murray style, Donnacha Byrne, Sligo’s flanker saw an opportunity, grabbed the ball, catching Castlebar unaware sliding over the try line to score his second try of the day. Converted by Alex Devaney.

But Castlebar were not giving up and within minutes of kicking off again Castlebar’s no 10 saw a gap in the defence and made a break for the try line denying Sligo players a tackle and went to the left of the post to score a try. This was not converted.

30 minutes into the game Donnacha Byrne successfully widened the gap, earned his third try, converted by Alex Devaney leading the Sligo team into a strong leading score at half time of 21-5.

One minute into the second half Jamie Carroll, Sligo’s number 8 broke through the Castlebar defence, although held back by 2 Castlebar players he managed to drive up to the try line and with one hand placed the ball over the line left of the post. The angle for the conversion seemed impossible to concede but with one suburb kick from Alex Devaney the ball sailed over the bar making the score for Sligo 28-5.

10 minutes later Luke Hogge  Sligo’s number 12 following Castlebar offside, lobbied the ball up the pitch. Castlebar ran on his heels but Luke proved too fast kicking the ball once more and threw himself into a try. Alex Devaney missed the conversion as the ball hit the post narrowly missing. Score now 33-5.

Sligo had 2 substitutions Killian Burns number 17 for Ciaran Cummins number 4 and Jack Curran number 16 for Matthew Harte number 6. Then came another opportunity for the now confident Sligo team when Darragh McElhinny, passed the ball to Donnacha Byrne, who in turn passed to Jamie Carroll, with true rugby style and pushed the ball over the try line with ease. This was converted by Alex Delaney. 5 minutes before the end the ball was kicked up the pitch by Luke Hogge followed by a sprinting Jack Courtney, proving too fast for their opponents leaving them behind as the final try of the match was scored, again converted by Alex Delaney.

The Sligo proved themselves today of being a team of togetherness built on determination and perseverance. Next match December 3rd where Sligo take on Ballinasloe at Hamilton Park.

holding-the-line lineout-take scrum-two scrum sligo-u16-rugby-team

Final Score Castlebar 5 Sligo 47.

Team: Tom Moyles, Dylan Marten, Gustav, Ciaran Cummins, Eon Dowd, Matthew Harter, Donnacha Byrne(3) Jamie Carroll (2) Darragh McElhinney, Michael Mullaney (C), Oisin Brennan, Luke Hogge (2), Darragh Feelihy, Jack Courtenay, Alex Devenney (6 converted), Subs Jack Curran, Killian Burns.

Team Management: Mickey O’ Hehir, John Davey and John Courtney.



On Saturday last the Sligo U15s beat a very strong Creggs side in very tight affair. In perfect conditions for rugby Creggs started the stronger scoring a penalty within 5mins. Sligo responded with a well worked try scored by centre Louie Scott assisted by Max King. Dara Cregg converted which left the score 7 3 after 10mins. Sligo continued to dominate in the first half with superb work by the pack, the half time score was 19 to 8 in sligo’s favour. Creggs started the second half much stronger and managed to score a further two tries , Sligo responded with magnificent try by Dara Cregg. The final score stood at Sligo 26 to Creggs 20 in what was a memorable game of rugby and a good test for the home side. Man of Match was Max King. The next game for Sligo is the return game against Creggs next Sunday 4th December at Hamilton Park.


img_5566 img_5580 img_5590 img_5592

Damien Cullen, Ben Millar, Stephen Doyle, Michael Broaders, Danny Funke, Cathal Feely, Diarmuid Brennan, Calum Wall, Max King, Fintan Casey, Joseph Keaney, Louis Scott, Brian Marren, Dáire Cregg, Marc O’Hehir, Finn Young, Liam O’Kelly-Lynch, Matthew Blain, Matthew Moroney, Patrick Dixon, Patryk Badowski, Conor McDermott, Sean Hynes.



The Sligo Minis travlled to face Carrick-on-Shannon

img_84461 img_84491 img_84501 img_84551 img_84621 img_84681